The girls at Afesip

December 9 - December 11

I am now in Siem Reap to clown at Afesip, at their center for young girls and women rescued from trafficking (sexual slavery) and domestic abuse, a mission started by Somaly Mom.* When I was in Sweden in the summer I read an article about Somaly Mom in a Swedish newspaper, because she had won a Scandinavian human rights prize. And I thought, I am going to Cambodia… and this is exactly the kind of place I want to go to. So I got in touch -- and now here I am! They invited me to perform at the International Anti-Trafficking Day, (officially Dec 12), which was initiated by Afesip and which they celebrated on Dec. 9.  I came up with some classic schtick scenarios and just improvised in the moment around it and found myself clowning around with the governor of Siem Reap! (He and Somaly Mom and a whole panel were seated on stage as guests of honor.) It went really well! They were all laughing heaps. The girls sure got a kick out my goofing around with the governor.

I was amazed how loving and sweet these girls are given their recent traumatic past -- so ready to love and laugh! I came back in the evening to join their dance party, and as soon as the girls saw me they rushed towards me screaming with delight surrounding me with hugs! Wow. Such outpouring of love and affection.  They had done the same to Somaly Mom (running up and gathering around her so excited and happy) when she arrived, but after all she is the big momma who saved them. They had just met me and I only made them laugh a little… That was a powerful moment to be greeted thus. Their excitement, being so full of life and joy, was wonderful to see. I imagine they are so hungry to live and to love, now that they have the chance; they are making up for lost time!

The next day I came back to do workshops with the girls and we had a lot of fun playing games and acting silly – and they especially loved trying to walk on the stilts!

I got to know one girl more closely, Ren (pronounced "rain"), who spoke English. Somaly introduced us so that Ren could practice her speaking and to show me around the place. Ren is looking forward to finishing her seamstress training so she can open up her own business. She, especially, loved walking on stilts, and managed to do it by herself quite quickly!  We took a lot of photos and I promised to send her copies. Over a couple of days we made a nice connection and were just starting to get to know each other. I wish I could have stayed longer. But this time my clown visits were scheduled as shorter stays. The girls have a very busy schedule with school and training to move forward with their life and opportunities. They have a lot of lost time to catch up on! I am glad I was able to come and play with them a little and offer them some joy and fun through the silliness of clowning!

--
* Further information on Afesip and trafficking in Cambodia
Human trafficking, especially the sexual enslavement of young girls, is a serious and rampant problem in Cambodia. Somaly Mom was herself sold off in her early teens and forced to work in a brothel. She did not get away until she was in her early twenties and has since worked tirelessly to fight trafficking and rescue young girls and women from a life as a sex slave. Her organization Afesip runs three centers, one in Siem Reap, one just outside Phnom Penh and a third in the countryside near Kampong Cham. There the girls are offered a safe home, the camaraderie of each other, psychological counseling, education and vocational training. They are given the opportunity to pursue a viable career track doing either hairdressing or sewing. At the end of their training, assistance is given to set them up in their own businesses. Since many of the girls have lost years of schooling, they have many grades to catch up on and they stay at the center for many years until they have completed their education and are fully trained in a vocation.
For more information, go to http://www.somalymom.org and http://www.afesip.org.
--



The Siem Reap center / Waiting for the show to start....
International Anti-Trafficking Day, December 9, 2008


Somaly Mom / Governor of Siam Reap w/Somaly Mom seated at front of stage


Grooving with the girls

Ren and Liya in the sewing room / Ren on stilts!


All gathered together!


No comments: