Roi Et - Clowning with the kids - Day 3 and 4

Well, after another day or two more, the kids are opening up, finally getting the game and coming up with movements and expressions on their own in the exercises/games we are doing. Yey! We do a lot of movement and silly dance; movement and sound together, rhythm and formation, and general games to be silly and goofy. I try to get the kids to engage their bodies as much as possible.

Continuing same exercises, we play with movement and sound. I incorporate English lessons (the school wants us to teach them) in the workshop. Have them repeat words of what I'm doing. "Circle"... "Movement!" and "Sound!"... "Make a movement." And demonstrate physically. I get Pat to teach me how to tell the kids in Thai to "do your own movement and sound" -- "tam muen gan daeh kwam kit koun!" (i.e., do the same but your own idea). They get it (most of them) but still too shy to do it. But they are starting to! One little girl who is quite precocious gets the game quickly and starts to suggest to her fellow kids when they hesitate what movements they might do. Everyone together do same, and then one by one passing around the circle a different movement and sound combination. Then build imaginary machine. It's all very silly to the kids. We pass a clap around the circle and I specify to look at each other, make eye contact, and clap at same time -- and I exaggerate the looking part with my eyes and this they think is super funny. We do funny exaggerated faces. I pass out clown noses for the kids to wear. Liz and I improvise a little wearing our noses, clown and goof around -- and the kids get a kick out of this.

Nonetheless, the kids are very unfocused today, towards the latter part of the workshop. Tired? It seemed even hotter yesterday than today. 4th day fatigue? Bored with doing same thing? Off day?

No comments: